More information on this pipeline below.
- Bill McKibben writes "The most important thing an individual can do is not be an individual. Join together—that's why we have movements like 350.org or Green for All, like BlackLivesMatter or Occupy. If there's not a fight where you live, find people to support, from Standing Rock to the Pacific islands. Job one is to organize and jobs two and three."
- If you live in or near NYC, this is your chance to join together to stop this fossil fuel project.
- Senator Schumer, New Yorker Citizens need you to ACT. STOP the Spectra AIM PIPELINE.
- Senator Schumer: Our earth needs YOU TO ACT. STOP the Spectra AIM Pipeline!
- Senator Schumer: NO NEW FOSSIL FUEL INFRASTRUCTURE! STOP The Spectra AIM Pipeline!
- Senator Schumer: Our Children need you to ACT!
Spectra Energy's AIM Pipeline is a 42-inch, high-pressure fracked gas pipeline that would run within 105 feet (yes, 105 feet) of critical Indian Point Nuclear Power Plant safety facilities.
This pipeline is a threat to all New Yorkers, not just those living directly in the pipeline path. All pipelines are prone to accidents, and if something goes wrong on the AIM Pipeline in such close proximity to Indian Point, the results could be catastrophic for 20 million New Yorkers. This project would also lock us into further fossil fuel use at a time when we have to be moving to renewable energy for the sake of our climate - climate change threatens all of us.
This is a democracy issue - the people are against this pipeline, and they aren't being heard. For several years, concerned New Yorkers have been fighting this pipeline in every way they can. Lawsuits have been filed, letters have been written, and for the last year people have been directly stopping construction through nonviolent civil disobedience. Elected officials from the Mayor of Peekskill all the way up to the Governor and both Senators have voiced their opposition. However, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission has the final say on this project, and they are an unelected, unaccountable, rogue agency that is funded directly by the industry they claim to regulate.
Now is the time to stop this pipeline. Spectra Energy wants this project to be complete by November, which means we need to halt construction immediately. Time is running out.
There is no domestic need for this gas. Spectra continues to insist this gas is for New England markets, however, the MA Attorney General, Maura Healy, issued a study proving New England does not need expanded gas capacity. Additionally, the Supreme Court of MA just ruled that electric utilities cannot pass the cost of new gas pipeline construction onto rate-payers causing the two major utilities to pull out of Spectra's project.
- SANE Energy Project
- Resist Spectra
- Bronx Climate Justice North
- NYC Grassroots Alliance
- Beyond Extreme Energy
- Climate Mama
- Mothers Out Front Rochester
- Mothers Out Front Southern Tier
- Mothers Out Front Hudson Valley
- Mothers Out Front NYC
780 Third Ave
New York, NY 10017
Google map and directions